Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Last Lecture

I loved this lecture! It has always been hard for me to stay focused during lectures, but he kept me focused the entire time. My favorite thing he said was, "when people stop caring what you are doing, then that means they have given up on you." It moved me. I never want to be the one that gives up on my students. I think that is a very good philosophy for teaching.
When he discussed the analogy about brick walls it made me think. Brink walls really are there to stop the people who don't want it badly enough. I want to in a sense put up some brick walls for my students to overcome. Students should want to try their hardest and do their very best. When I stop and think, I remember the teachers who made school challenging the most.
"Wait long enough and people will surprise and impress you." This is a quote to live by. This not only applies to school and teaching, but everyday life. This can be applied to relationships, parents, or siblings. People come around in their own time and we have to respect that. Life is too short to hole grudges and be angry with one another over little things. You never know when your students will do something to surprise you.
I love that his program was a project based program. I think students learn more just by experiencing things. I plan on implementing hands on activities and projects to test my students. I feel learning should not be boring. That's why students lose interest in school. We as teachers have to be the ones to find the best ways to get to out students. This lecture is something I will refer back to in the future.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on the first quote you said you liked because I feel the exact same way. I would never want to give up on my students and I hope I never do. The brick wall idea for your students is a great idea. I think students would enjoy that.

    ReplyDelete